Tuesday, 6 December 2016

Completed 2016

At this point in the year, I find it highly unlikely that I will actually complete another game I am currently playing so with that in mind, I decided that I will just post my 'completed' list now. It's not as impressive as last year's but then again, I've been gaming slightly less in 2016 and playing a few more things that take longer to complete.
  • GT Advance (Gameboy Advance)
  • Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer (PS1)
  • Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon (PS1)
  • Fragile Dreams (Wii)
  • Project X Zone 2 (3DS)
  • Until Dawn (PS4)
  • Medievil (PS1)
  • Medievil 2 (PS1)
  • Black (PS2)
  • No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise (PS3)
  • Yakuza 4 (PS3)
  • Golden Axe III (Mega Drive)
  • Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (PS4)
  • Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition (Wii) - Normal, Pro, Assignment Ada & Separate Ways
  • Enthusia: Professional Racing (PS2)
A fair few of these were replays so if I'm talking about my favourite game of 2016 then it would be unfair to include the likes of the Spyro or Medievil games as they were already firm favourites and would blitz the competition with ease. No, the game that has easily impressed me the most in 2016 would have to be - by a country mile - Until Dawn for the PS4. It was my first foray into the current generation of consoles and I was absolutely blown away by the realism of the visuals, the cinematic style, spot-on recreation of an 80's slasher flick (one of my favourite movie types) and ability to influence the story with your actions.



Oh Mike, don't you know what happens to those who get frisky in these films?

I was also heavily impressed by Fragile Dreams on the Wii, a game I'd had sealed for many years now and randomly decided to get played at last. It felt like a real journey and was quite emotional thanks to its desolate world, sense of loneliness and scraps of humanity left behind by all those who had perished in the past. I really enjoyed it and wish I'd played it sooner.

Elsewhere, I was predictably addicted to Project X Zone 2 on the 3DS which was another slice of geeky crossover madness. Enthusia Professional Racing for the PS2 blew me away with the realism of its vehicle models, lovely graphics and realistic physics. A truly underrated racing game.

As for the disappointments? No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise must rank up there for being a pretty unimpressive update. The game itself remained excellent and satisfyingly insane in that unique Suda51 style but I wasn't impressed with the quality of the port itself considering the power of the PS3 over the Wii. The game crashed on me a few times and displayed in a really outdated letterboxed way on my TV, forcing me to re-adjust the picture every time I played it. Also, it would have been good if they'd included the much better sequel on the same disc because it would have made for a more 'complete' package and both games would easily have fitted on a Blu-Ray disc. Still, it was nice to revisit the lunacy of Santa Destroy and one of my favourite psychopaths in gaming: Bad Girl. Any excuse to include a piccy:


The other shock disappointment for me was revisiting one of my favourite classic series' on the PS1, Medievil and discovering that the second game really wasn't that enjoyable! The first still felt like a classic a true nostalgia rush but over the years, I'd not played Medievil 2 nearly as much. In 2016 it felt alright but far too frustrating in many places and too difficult to enjoy in others. I also missed the fantasy setting of Gallowmere and some of the weapons that were naturally removed (Magic Bow, Dragon Armour) to bring Dan into a more realistic, historic setting. It was a good game but definitely not as enjoyable as I remembered so I reckon for future replays, I'd likely only go for the original.

While the list of my completed games doesn't look that impressive, it doesn't show all the games that I tried out and ditched for various reasons or those that I'm still working through such as King of Fighters XIV, Dead or Alive 5: Last Round, Yakuza 5 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. Overall though, I definitely haven't been 'feeling' gaming as much in 2016 and as recently as the last month or so, I've sold a huge chunk of my collection including my painstakingly collected PS2 JRPG collection, loads of PS3 Nippon Ichi stuff and even a fair few valuable PS1 titles - stuff I know I will never get around to playing.

I've been wanting a much more compact gaming collection for some time now and even wanted to spend less time on gaming itself so these were two other elements that contributed to my big sell-off. Perhaps I might regret it in the future but right here and now, it feels like the right thing to do. Eventually I want to reach the stage where I purchase a game and play it without having a major backlog of unplayed games and sealed boxes everywhere. I also have a few other priorities on my mind which I have placed more importance on in the latter half of 2016 so gaming and game-related purchases may well have to take a bit more of a backseat for the forseeable future. I have made one more 'big' gaming purchase with some of the proceeds generated by my selling however and I will post about it next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment