Tuesday, 23 February 2016

Recent-ish Purchases

I haven't done one of these for a while and it isn't for a lack of stuff to show but more that I wished to move away from these kinds of posts for 2016. While that is still the aim (there won't be regular updates for purchases), I will still occasionally produce one of these posts in between 'real' posts so that I have some time to get busy with the keyboard and (hopefully) type up something more interesting. For now though, these are some of the bits I have bought since the last update...

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS3)


The first of several fighting games that I added to my collection recently, this is one that has eluded me for some time now. For whatever reason, there didn't seem to be a vast quantity of copies produced (the Marvel license expired some time afterwards so I'm not sure that is a valid explanation) and finding one in a pre-owned shop isn't that easy. UMvC3 holds it's value too so the £22.99 I paid for this complete, very nice condition copy is an average kind of price. Obviously I'd have liked to have paid less but going on my past, highly enjoyable time with the standard MvC3, I will surely get my money's worth.


Vampire: Darkstalkers Collection (PS2, NTSC-J)


With Darkstalkers being one of my favourite series' and creative/artistic inspirations, it was high time I added this excellent compilation to my collection. It's odd that Capcom chose to release a HD pack of Vampire Hunter and Vampire Savior on the PS3/360 rather than simply remastering this existing collection. While the HD re-release comprises of just two games, the PS2 compilation features all three arcade games, the revised Vampire Hunter 2 and Vampire Saviour 2 as well as some nice extras. It really is the ultimate Darkstalkers set and I'm looking forward to revisiting each game again.

Capcom Vs SNK 2 (PS2, NTSC-J)


I'd already had the PAL version of what I consider to be one of the greatest ever fighters (and Capcom's last truly 'magical' fighting game) in my collection for the longest time but as hardcore fans will know, the European version of the game is locked at 50Hz with borders and no option for 60Hz. I'm no elitist when it comes to this kind of stuff but when there's a better version out there that doesn't cost too much then I will go for it. Needless to say, I've been playing a lot of Capcom Vs SNK 2 since this NTSC-J copy landed on the doormat. Oh yes.

Guilty Gear X+ (PS2, NTSC-J)


After enjoying and being thoroughly impressed by the PS1 conversion of the original Guilty Gear, it had always been my intention to continue with the series but with enough updates and revisions to shock even Capcom, I had decided to simply go for the single best version of each of Arc System Works' sequels. X+ was released in the PAL format but not wanting to risk a dodgy 50Hz conversion, I plumped for the NSTC-J edition which has a nice, uncluttered cover (the PAL version is plastered with media quotes and review scores...yuck) and only set me back about £6-7 including shipping from Japan.

Astroboy Omega Factor (Gameboy Advance)


One of the gaming's current bugbears is the relentless tide of 'hidden gem' lists and countdowns on popular gaming sites. Simply put, these lists highlight great games that people may have missed first time around and while the intentions of said lists is admirable, the end result is more people hunting for the games contained within than there are available copies. Demand increases, prices rocket and some games are then put beyond the reach of those who can't simply throw money at things on ebay until they win. Astroboy is a critically aclaimed Gameboy Advance game developed by the legendary Treasure and it invariably appears on the hidden gem lists for Nintendo's final Gameboy incarnation but thankfully it still remains within reach of gamers. I got this lovely, complete copy for an (extremely reasonable) tenner in a forum sale and I'm looking forward to seeing how accurate the worship in 2004's reviews really was.

Dead or Alive 5 Art/Making Of Book


I recently sold my Dead or Alive 5 Collector's Edition tin as a) I had a superior revision of the game and b) I had no use for the other contents. The only extra item I missed was the artbook so I bought this superior, dedicated version from Japan. It's bigger and has more content so it's a nice addition to my artbook collection. I'll hopefully post up a few interior pics in due course as part of my artbook series of posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment