Monday, 7 December 2015

Playing, Completed, Binned - November '15 Edition

Binned:
Just the one game started and given up on last month and that game was Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies for the Wii. I hadn't played the N64 original (which is kind-of legendary amongst shooter fans) but I did buy the sequel on the cheap many years ago. At last, I decided to excavate the game from my shelf and give it a go. To start with, I was really enjoying it. The game looks and sounds great and the arcade-style shooting is relentless with bullets and enemies filling the screen, frequent explosions and set pieces etc. - just what I like. However, by stage 5, I was getting my ass handed to me so much that I wasn't enjoying the game anymore (the 'Punishment' part of the title is certainly appropriate!). I've never been very good at shooters anyway so I wasn't wholly surprised to find that I didn't have what it takes to best S&P. It was a fun ride while I was enjoying it though so there is that.

Completed:

November saw me complete two games. First up was Rule of Rose, an infamous PS2 horror game that was withdrawn from the shelves over controversy and as a result now garners much attention and high prices on places like ebay. Fortunately, an incredible online contact of mine from a gaming forum was kind enough to borrow me his personal copy of the game and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Rule of Rose. The game itself will win no awards on a technical level and the combat is pretty much rubbish but the storytelling, atmosphere and generally bizarre ideas are like nothing I've seen before in a horror game. I won't go into too much detail because I'm hoping to write up a short standalone review of the game but I will say that I'm extremely pleased I had the chance to play and complete the game, so much so that I'd like my own copy to go back to but at the current prices, I can't see it happening anytime soon.


The second game I beat last month was one that I've completed more times than I can remember: Spyro the Dragon for the PS1. I tend to have a run-through of all three games on a yearly basis as I have so many happy memories of playing them when they were new releases and I still enjoy them to the same degree today even if I am able to 100% them in a matter of 2-3 days now. This was actually the first time I used a PS1 disc in my PS3 with the texture smoothing enabled and I have to say that I was pretty impressed. I was less impressed about the cutscene audio glitching out in Spyro 2 when I tried to move onto the sequel next but looking about online, it seems to be a common emulation-related problem when using the disc in a PS3.

Playing:
Last month also saw me get side-tracked by other games when I already had a few in progress. I ended up spending time with GTA V (now forcibly returned to the shelf), Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold, SVC Chaos: SNK Vs Capcom and Street Fighter III: Third Strike. A good time was had with all (as expected) but I'm currently supposed to be playing:
  • Time and Eternity (PS3)
  • Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (DS)
Since I've only just gotten into Third Strike, I will also be playing that during December as my quick-fire game on the side when I don't have the time to get stuck into JRPG's, which will probably be the case throughout the month of Christmas when I will have various things going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment